Polycarbonate sheets are perhaps among the most versatile roofing products in the market today. The design itself gives it a multitude of purposes. In fact, they have been used for both commercial and residential purposes. Of course, they have been lauded for their brilliant application in such things like greenhouses, skywalks, and stadiums among others.
Whatever your purpose may be, it is vital that you pick the polycarbonate sheet that is most appropriate to your purpose. This is because there is actually a wide variety of polycarbonate sheets to choose from. This article seeks to make the selection process easier for you. It breaks down everything you need to take into consideration.
Different Kinds of Polycarbonate Roofing
It always comes as a surprise to most that there are actually multiple kinds of polycarbonate roofing products. Presented below is a breakdown of the different types. Hopefully, this will help you better understand what sets each of them apart.
- Single-layered polycarbonate sheet – This is the most basic type of polycarbonate roofing. It closely resembles glass albeit stronger and more durable. It also has the highest level of light transmission among the different polycarbonate sheets. Conversely, it offers the lowest level of insulation.
- Twin-wall polycarbonate sheet – These sheets provide your structure with great insulation as well as significant protection from direct sunlight. As a general rule, the thicker the sheets, the better the insulation.
- Multiwall polycarbonate sheet – Needless to say, the Multiwall polycarbonate sheets provide the optimal level of insulation. It would also please readers to know that they can be as thick as 6 layers. While a bit more expensive compared to the others, most homeowners look at it as a form of investment as these sheets have been proven to be the most resilient of them all.
- Corrugated polycarbonate sheet – If you are in the market for the most affordable polycarbonate options, then the corrugated polycarbonate sheet is perfect for your needs. Not only are they extraordinarily strong, they also require less structural support. This enables homeowners to cut down on installation costs.
Things to Consider
- Budget – As presented above, the different kinds of polycarbonate sheets are available at different prices. Make sure that you keep your budget in mind as you search for the product that best suits your needs.
- Color – Aside from the obvious effects on aesthetic and design, the color of the sheets can also have a practical effect on your structure. This is because the color itself determines the amount of light and heat that is able to come in. As a basic rule, the darker the color of the sheet, the less light is able to get in.
- UV protection – The design of polycarbonate protects structures from UV radiation exposure. However, the level of protection itself can vary. Make sure to ask about it before making a purchase.
This article provided readers with a simple guide to polycarbonate roofing products. If you are looking to embark on a construction project, make sure to keep these things in mind.